We MUST end prison gerrymandering in legislative redistricting in Michigan. The MICRC (Michigan Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission) is completing their redistricting plans which will be in effect for the next 10 years.
VAAC is asking everyone to take two specific actions in support of ending this unfair practice.
- Post a short note of support for the VAAC comments to the MICRC here
- Attend an MICRC meeting either in person or virtually, to share your comments directly to the commission. Use this link to see upcoming meetings and to subscribe to stay informed about future meetings. When speaking to the commission remember to:
- Be concise. You only have two minutes to speak. Writing out what you want to say may be useful!
- Personalize your story. Using a template is good, but stories are what pull at people’s heartstrings! Sharing how this has impacted you, your family, and your community, and why it is important to you may be the tipping point to getting the bills passed!
For help in understanding the issue and forming your own comments, see these valuable resources.
- Campaign Legal Center key points for why to end Prison Gerrymandering in Michigan.
- VAAC presentation to MICRC with maps showing impact of Prison Gerrymandering in Michigan.
- Prison Policy Initiative recommendations for addressing Prison Gerrymandering
Ending prison Gerrymandering is one of VAACs primary objectives. You can find out more here.